Thursday, March 8, 2012

Miso Fried Rice


My brothers and I love to go to Benihana for special occasions. One of my favorite parts of a Benihana meal is the fried rice - I always hope that I get served last so I get some of that awesome crispy bottom that's been sizzling on the hibachi extra long. Sometimes I get cravings for really salty, crispy fried rice, but this is the first time I've ever actually tried to make it. I think it's a success!

This is an approximation of the flavor of the fried rice at Benihana, with miso paste instead of what I've always thought was garlic butter (now I'm thinking it may be miso!). In addition, I was short a few ingredients for Benihana's special orange sauce, so I decided to go a totally different direction with a fried egg and sriracha garnish. Yum!





Miso Fried Rice
makes 2 side servings or one giant dinner serving

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked rice, cold or room temperature
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoons white miso paste
soy sauce to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 eggs
sriracha or your choice of hot sauce

Directions:

1) Put olive oil in a large non-stick pan or wok over medium heat. Heat until a flick of water in oil sizzles, then add veggies and ginger. Sautee for approximately 5 minutes until onion is translucent but carrot is still mostly crunchy.

2) Add miso paste and stir continuously until miso is dissolved and vegetables are completely coated.

3) Add rice to pan and toss until vegetables are evenly distributed. Add soy sauce to taste.

4) Turn heat up to high, and let rice sit for a few minutes until it begins to sizzle. Flip rice so top can cook, and let cook until rice is as crispy as desired. Repeat if you like your rice extra crispy (like I do!)

5) Turn heat down to medium low and remove rice from pan.  Distribute into 1 or 2 bowls, depending on serving size.

6) Crack eggs into dirty pan and cook until desired doneness. Top rice bowl(s) with cooked eggs and garnish with sriracha or alternate hot sauce. Enjoy!


Note: This can be made with garlic butter in place of miso paste and it will work just as well. In addition, if you like extra gingery flavor, add more ginger. It's delicious! Make sure you use fresh ginger, though - the powdered stuff really isn't the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment